With the international price rise on all goods, wigs are no different. Therefore, you will be glad to hear that you may be able to save your money and be eligible for a hair grant or claim. There are currently 3 ways you may avail of hair grants.
- PRSI Wig Scheme
- Private Health Insurance
- HSE Medical Card Holders
1. The PRSI Hair Replacement Benefit .
First step is the system is checked to see if you have enough PRSI contributions to qualify (if you do not qualify under your own PPS number you can apply under dependents spouse scheme). Your application then goes to the relevant department which may take around 2 weeks to be processed. If approved, you can book an appointment to use your benefit towards your hair piece or wig which is up to €500 per year. Hair Conditions that qualify with a Doctors note must specify either Alopecia, Hair Loss (Frontal Fibrosis) or Clients undergoing Chemotherapy) Email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE - ALLOWANCES FOR WIGS
If you have a hair condition, depending on your policy you can claim for the cost of your wig through your private health insurance.
Please phone your private health insurer for details to see are you covered.
- Laya - full cost covered for one wig
- VHI - no excess on wigs from next policy renewal date.
- Irish Life Health - 50% cover, no excess
3. Medical Card
The Hair Club are approved vendors with the HSE which means medical card holders may be entitled to a HSE wig grant if you have a doctors cert specifing their hair loss condition or stating that you are undergoing chemotherapy.
HSE grants vary depending on which county you live in. Below is a list:
- Dublin €635 - €700
- Cork - €450
- Waterford - €440
- Kilkenny - €440
- Wexford - €440
- Carlow - €440
- Tipperary - €500
- Clare - €500
- Wicklow - €650
- Kildare - €767
IN ORDER TO APPLY TO THE HSE:
- You will need a valid medical card.
- A signed letter from your doctor or consultant ( on their official letterhead) outlining you are experiencing hair loss for medical reasons and therefore require a wig.
- A hair quote from us sent to email@example.com we then apply to the HSE on your behalf.
Please note there are no refunds or exchanges on wigs or hair pieces after for in store purchases for hygiene reasons. Refunds are rarely requested as your consultations are very thorough.